Sunday 28 October 2012

ST ANDREW OF PATRAS

Saint Andrew (Agios Andreas, Άγιος Ανδρέας in Greek) is a Greek Orthodox basilica in the east side of the city of Patras in Greece. Construction of the church, of Greek Byzantine style, began in 1908 under the supervision of the architect Anastasios Metaxas, followed by Georgios Nomikos.

It was inaugurated in 1974. It is the largest church in Greece and the third largest Byzantine-style church in the Balkans, after the Cathedral of Saint Sava in Belgrade and Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Sofia. It holds relics of the apostle Saint Andrew, which were sent there from St. Peter's Basilica, Rome in September, 1964, on the orders of Pope Paul VI.

This post is part of the Sunday Psalms meme,
and also part of the Spiritual Sunday meme.

"I cried unto God with my voice, even unto God with my voice; and he gave ear unto me."

"In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord: my sore ran in the night, and ceased not: my soul refused to be comforted."







"I remembered God, and was troubled: I complained, and my spirit was overwhelmed. Selah."
And here is a Greek Orthodox chant, the Allelouarion in the A' mode:

4 comments:

  1. Un petit goût d'Orient pour une église exceptionnelle.

    http://lunedemaledaumon.blogspot.fr/2012/10/psalmchallenge-77.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. As if you were here. Yes, many times I search for such an oasis when times become rough, spending time inside.

    It surely did help many times. Thank you very much for your kind participation. Please have a good new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful church, thank you for sharing this. It looks quite a lot like the church I attended yesterday for the first time, the local Greek Orthodox Church in my city. This one is much grander of course, but the paintings on the dome are almost identical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, what a wonderful structure. I can't imagine the difficulty of putting all those small tiles together to make those mosaics! So you went to Greece? I am envious.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.