Tuesday 16 April 2013

HIBISCUS

Hibiscus is a genus of flowering plants in the mallow family, Malvaceae. It is quite large, containing several hundred species that are native to warm-temperate, subtropical and tropical regions throughout the world. Member species are often noted for their showy flowers and are commonly known simply as hibiscus, or less widely known as rose mallow. The genus includes both annual and perennial herbaceous plants, as well as woody shrubs and small trees. The generic name is derived from the Greek word ἱβίσκος (hibískos), which was the name Pedanius Dioscorides (ca. 40–90) gave to Althaea officinalis.

This post is part of the Nature Footsteps Floral Macros meme.
and part of the Ruby Tuesday meme.


6 comments:

  1. Both are stunning macros! Love the fine detail of the two flowers in the first photo and the super zoom is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous shots, especially the macro shot is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the second image!!! The hibiscus flowers are so big, it is hard to get a good image of the whole thing!! And I love the raindrops!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would give anything to be able to have hibiscus growing naturally, but that is not possible here in the mountains. They are not in the stores yet, so guess I will have to wait for a while for my annual one. This one is so pretty. Lovely color, and the macro shot shows the bloom off so well. genie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this looks a bit different in teh center then I m used to. I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.