Tuesday 9 June 2015

FIRETHORN

Pyracantha coccinea is the European species of Firethorn that has been cultivated in gardens since the late 16th century. The tree has small white flowers. It produces small, bright red berries. The fruit is bitter and astringent, making it inedible when raw. The fruit can be cooked to make jellies, jams, sauces and marmalade.

It ranges from southern Europe to western Asia. It has been introduced to North America and cultivated there as an ornamental plant since the 18th century. In England, since the late of 18th century, it was used to cover unsightly walls.  About 1874 M. Lalande, a nurseryman in Angers, France, selected from seedlings of P. coccinea an improved form, more freely berrying than the type. A sport has produced a yellow-berried form. These, and further selections, have largely ousted the ordinary form from nursery stock.

This post is part of the Our World Tuesday meme,
and also part of the Ruby Tuesday meme,
and also part of the Trees & Bushes meme,
and also part of the Wordless Wednesday meme.



10 comments:

  1. pyracantha provides such a bright array of berries. One of my favorite bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness how prolific these bushes are and beautiful beyond words. I even love the shiney stiff leaves that contrast with the berries perfectly. Well done, Nick ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Beautiful berries on the (pyracantha/nandina?) bush! Makes me long for Christmas! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't they lovely? And the birds enjoy them, too!
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/06/in-memoriam-ling.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos. There used to be quite a lot of pyracanthra bushes in my town when I was smaller. We had a couple growing in our front yard. The birds would get drunk on the seeds and go crashing about. I had no idea you could eat them in a jam until I was much older. Very delicious.
    Take 25 to Hollister

    ReplyDelete
  6. o yes, this bush is set on fire. I think I have seen one but am not sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a profusion of berries! So Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, gorgeous berries! Lovely bushes.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, so please comment. I appreciate constructive criticism as it improves my skills as an amateur photographer.